Friday, May 23, 2008

The General Election

Well, assuming everything plays out as it looks like it will and it is Obama vs. McCain - what are everybody's thoughts on the match up?

It seems that they have been trading shots this week about the new GI Bill, foreign policy, etc. I think it will be a pretty combative race, at least that is how it is starting out. So let's spend some time breaking down the issues.

Education:
McCain
The McCain Plan
OK - maybe you can help me here, but there really is not much in terms of detailed policy on that page. It is a very high level look at the education system in general. I assume he supports No Child Left Behind as it is and is very passionate about allowing students to transfer to schools that are achieving higher test scores...I think.

Obama - The Obama Plan
Obama's plan is obviously a lot more detailed, so some key points I like. Again, he will need to define how he will pay for them, but at least he is offering ideas.
* Reform NCLB - I think the lack of funding is one of the biggest problems with NCLB. It has to be addressed. No idea how we will pay for the additional funding, but it was rolled out without thinking long term and now we are forced to deal with it or scrap it all together.
* Afterschool and Summer programs - I think these work great in areas of lower income families. I saw how after school programs worked where I grew up and I think that summer programs to bring students up to speed or give them a head start are nice ideas.
* Teacher Ideas - Coulter, I'm sure Lisa can address some of these ideas better than I can. Would love to hear her thoughts.
* Higher Education - Tax credit and simplified financial aid seem simple enough to me. Don't know about making JC tuition free for most students - seems like that would cost a fortune.

I hope they discuss all these issues as the race continues. I find the lack of any real details on McCain's website interesting.

Thoughts?

No comments: